[Geomoose-users] [Geomoose-developers] Raster & contours

Fischer, Brian bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com
Fri Apr 25 17:16:33 EDT 2008

Adam,  the only way to get good performance out of large rasters like
that or even shapefiles for the matter is to tile them
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/optimizeraster or
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/optimizevector) .  Also only let
your users display the layer at a lower scale.  To tile a layer you can
use some gdal/ogr utilities that come with MS4W.  Take a look at this
page for more guidance.  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html and
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_utilities.html and
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/tile4ms.

Hope this helps,