[Geomoose-users] PNG Transparency and IE6

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 12:16:15 EDT 2008

:-) We tried implementing a lot of these hacks in the base of the source code.  Jim from the City of Saint Paul also tried to do it again to help with the 1.4 release, but really very few of them work.  Some of them worked on older patches of IE and some work on the latest IE6 patch but only in very specific circumstances (circumstances which GeoMOOSE apparently does not create).

I hate saying this, but the way we've tackled it is as follows:
1) Tell them to upgrade to IE7.
2) Tell people to use Firefox.
3) Replace the PNGs with GIFs.  (Thankfully the patent has expired.)

IE6 will be retired one day, and the use of PNGs in the application (not including the layers you might be creating) is fairly limited.  Nor does the use of PNG's hamper the interface in any significant manner.  I think it's reasonable to say that layer display needs to be limited to PNG and GIF to make IE happy but the use of PNG's in the application itself will probably stay.