[Geomoose-users] using Google layers as background

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:25:48 EDT 2011

I'm creating a GeoMoose application that will use the various Google tile
layers as backgrounds.  (I originally created a basic app in my local state
plane projection but then realized that the Google-like backgrounds are
critical.)   I've downloaded the Web Mercator demo and am looking at
http://geomoose.org/howto/commercial_layers.html for guidance.  As I go
through this, a few quick questions:

1) Should I use EPSG:3857, EPSG:3785 or EPSG:900913?  Or does it matter as
long as Proj4 supports it and there's a corresponding file in
proj4js\lib\defs

2) In the mapbook file, should all the data sources (nearly all of WMS type)
have the same projection attribute, such as projection="EPSG:3857"?

3) Just to confirm, my raw data files do not need to be in the "web
mercator" projection, only the MAP Projection and Extent parameters in the
map files, correct?

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey