[Geomoose-users] Cost of an ArcGIS based application

Ed Boesenberg eboesenberg at niraengineers.com
Thu Dec 1 11:31:04 EST 2011

A client decided to have a web mapping application setup for them based on
ArcGIS Server.  I wasn't involved in the decision or else I would have
persuaded them to use GeoMoose.  The beta version website is up and running
and my client would like to add additional functionality and also modify the
symbology of some layers and since the additional functions were not
outlined in the original proposal a new one must be agreed upon.  One new
function requested by my client was to modify the identify function to add a
link to a PDF, specified within the shapefile.  I just received the new
modified proposal and the cost to change the identify function is $3,400,
which works out to about 28 hours at $120 an hour.  There were other
modifications included in the new proposal and, in my opinion, all of them
seemed high.  Does that cost seem high to anyone else?  Am I being
unreasonable?

What would you charge a client to add a link to a PDF for the identify
function if you had already setup a GeoMoose application?

What would you charge a client to setup a complete GeoMoose application with
basic layers (buildings, roads, parcels, waterline) and some basic services
(printing and identify), exclude web hosting fees?

I look at the bill for the entire project and think to myself I could have
done the project for a third of what the other company is charging by using
GeoMoose.

Just wondering.

Ed