[Geomoose-users] Something like Google Earth's Photo layer?

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 10:56:41 EST 2011

The application Bob's talking about is *ridiculously* popular with City staff.  When it broke we got calls from all corners of staff, some we didn't even know used the application until that point.

The feature-editor (cough, 2.6, cough, WFS-T) would make this super-easy and integrate with all sorts of apps (or at least, uDig and QGIS).

>________________________________

    zoom etc), but that would require the imagery to be highly
    geo-coded, and a ton of software...

>Best Regards,
Brent Fraser
>On 12/15/2011 12:54 PM, Bob Basques wrote:
>Brent,
>>
>>Already have that sort of thing developed here at the City internally. We even have a thumbnail in a popup on mouseover function.  Additionally we also put into place a GeoSpatial identifier that shows all photo's that look at a particular spot on the ground.  We acquired all the corresponding camera data with the photo acquisition that show which direction the camera was facing.  Jim K. did much of the work for this.  But the availability of the camera data helped as well.  Our catlog includes two different collections of street level photos, each covering the entire city right of way.  The last collection included 2million+ photos @ 7megapixel (I think) with a camera array for 360 deg views of each location spaced every 15 ft down every road.  We're talking about running another collection as a matter of fact.
>>
>>We've similarly set up some aerial oblique photos in the same system that are retrieved using the same lookup service.
>>
>>The hard part with fielding a demo of it, is having a place to upload, and also a cleaning mechanism on a periodic timeline.
>>There is also the need to have some sort of authentication in place for uploading in a general sense.
>>
>>bobb

>>     I had a question the other day from a person in the Emergency
>>Response Planning business.  He has a client (with
                  little or no money to
>>spend) interested in looking at a aerial scenes of
                  their five facilities
>>from their head office to aid in any decisions.  I let
                  them know the
>>difference between aerial "snapshots" and
                  photogrammetry, etc.  But I
>>can't really help them; it's mainly a data acquisition
                  task and a photo
>>album.
>>
>>     However while we were talking, it occurred to me
                  that a simple
>>web-based mapping system with the ability to upload
                  geo-tagged photos
>>from the field, display icons on map and show the
                  photo when clicked
>>(like Google Earth's Photo layer) could be a nice
                  GeoMoose extension,
>>useful for various things.  I think most of the parts
                  are in GeoMoose:
>>Identify, Popups (although I may want the Identify
                  info sent to a