[Geomoose-users] New user question

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Jan 13 11:03:03 EST 2011

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Geomoose and have installed it and gotten it working with the
> mapserver installation we use. I am going to be passing in URL parameters
> so
> that users will be creating their own maps and viewing them in Geomoose. I
> want to allow them to switch on and off layers and maybe alter the opacity
> of a layer but nothing else, I think I can do this via the xml
> configuration files.

Yes, this is exactly the use-case GeoMoose is designed for.

> So in effect the user will start with a map made of a base layer and
> some other layers and end up with a "view" of some or all of the
> information. Users will remain on a fixed centre point and extents will
> remain the same.

You may need to do some digging to disable the pan and zoom functions
(this is unusual).

> However I also want to allow the user to save the preferences for this
> "view" they have created ie the information about layers on/off and
> opacity.
> Is this possible within Geomoose in any way? I already record this
> information ie user id, layer id's and opacity in a table in a mysql
> database and use it to generate the map file and xml file so that I can
> launch geomoose with URL parameters. I was wondering about maybe setting
> up
> some kind of ajax link back to my table and updating it that way but am
> open
> to any other suggestions/ideas.
>
> Cheers
>
> Carl

One way is to
  - create a button ("Save"?) on the button bar
  - link the button to a new service definition in the mapbook.xml
  - create a custom input type to get the visible layers and opacity using
the GeoMOOSE API
  - create a server-side script (PHP or Python, etc) to receive the
information from GeoMoose and store it in your database.

Best Regards