[Geomoose-users] multiple applications from same GeoMoose code

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Nov 30 09:05:11 PST 2012

While Bobb and I have had some conversations a few years ago dreaming of
the ultimate authentication system, not much came of it.

On the other hand, I did implement some rudimentary authentication for
my Iceberg GeoMoose site.  We used Django (hey, I didn't choose it!) as
a server-side scripting (Python) framework, and were able to use its
authentication module.

The good news:
     - Django can keep the auth info in PostgreSQL, so it's available to
other scripting languages (e.g. PHP services)
     - all the auth config code exists in Django (so no need to write
anything)

The bad news:
     - we use mapserv.exe and I didn't bother figuring out how to check
the user's credentials for the CGI request (so potential security hole
there).
     - we had to do a little scripting hack to pass the session
authentication from the Python to the PHP environments (so at least you
need to be logged into get the GeoMoose interface and services).

The great thing about having an authenticated site is that it allows
data editing (we used the Feature Editor in v2.4), which opens up the
possibility of a Web-based GIS!