[Geomoose-users] Estimating tile size

Paul Wickman paul at flatrockgeo.com
Tue Jan 29 09:27:30 PST 2013

Yes, bytes.  Zowie...   I have a TIFF of an air photo for one of our other
municipalities (also 6-inch resolution), which is 20 GB (uncompress).  That
coverage is only ~40 square miles.  So, for a single ~800 square mile
county also at 6-inch resolution I'd potentially be looking at 400 GB for
the uncompressed source or...  somewhere on the order of ~800 GB tiled?
 Does that sound right?

Anybody from MnGeo on this list with any input?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com>wrote:

>  Do you mean how many bytes?
>
> Looking at my Landsat tile pyramids (levels 4 to 12), they're about the
> same number of bytes (hmm, I expected them to be double...)
>
> But my source images:
>     - no compression on existing files (tiffs, e.g not jpeg)
>     - 3 band (color) imagery
>
> The resulting tiles:
>     - compressed PNGs
>     - four bands (one alpha channel for transparency)
>
> So  my guess is somewhere between "same size" to "double the number of
> bytes" (unless the source imagery is compressed, then it will be 5 to 10
> times larger)
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>
> On 1/28/2013 5:53 PM, Paul Wickman wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
>  I know this type of question goes around often in various flavors.
>  Difficult to estimate exact size of rendered tiles, but thought I'd try to
> get some opinions.
>
>  I see this questions asked in a variety of ways and I know it's not
> exactly precise on how to get the answer, but I'll throw my question out to
> see what I get ;)
>
>  We have a client who would like us to tile and serve up high-resolution
> aerial photography that they own. The area is about 800 square miles and
> the imagery is 6-inch resolution. They'd like to be able to view the
> imagery at zoom levels 11 through 20 (with level 20 being 1 pixel=6
> inches). Is there any way at all to determine how large a resulting raster
> tile set might be?
>
>  Many thanks,
>   Paul
>
>  --