[Geomoose-users] problem displaying PIXMAP images

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jul 31 08:38:30 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Robert R. Raiz <raizrobert at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is somehow related to a previous post I made regarding an *"Image
> handling error. Unsupported output format (image/png;bits=8)".
> *
> I went to the demo part in GeoMoose and added to the original, untouched
> demo folders another layer (point shapefile - containing a few points), an
> icon (.png) in the symbol folder and all the other data connected to this
> layer (declaring it in the symbol.sym, mapbook.xml and so on) in order to
> display it.
>
> The thing is, whatever I do with the output format (state only one, none,
> or more, combinations, specifying option, changing imagetypes and so on)
> the symbol (.png file) does not render well - it gets fuzzy, pixelated.
> Like it does not preserve its quality or something like this.
>
> The icon has a good quality, clear image, smooth edges, even at a small
> size (in my normal viewer). Displayed in GeoMoose it looses the quality.

Taking GeoMoose out of the equation is one way to simplify this
troubleshooting.

> Can I ask some of you to try and replicate this? just add 2,3 points
> somewhere in your project and an icon to be displayed for those points. I
> would really like to see where the issue comes from as I am stuck at this
> part of my project for close to two weeks now and I cannot find a fix to
> this. Not sure what to modify, if its a mapserver thing or something else.

You can try using the shp2img utility to test just your map file and see
the quality of output.  There is a pointer to the Test your Mapfile section
of MapServer docs,
http://mapserver.org/optimization/debugging.html#step-5-test-your-mapfile,
from the GeoMoose FAQ,
http://www.geomoose.org/docs/faq.html?highlight=shp2img#why-am-i-getting-these-pink-tiles-when-i-look-at-geomoose.
There are some additional details on shp2img on the GeoMoose wiki,
http://www.geomoose.org/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_map_files_with_shp2img

MapServer has additional details about symbols.  Here is a specific note
about the use of PNGs,
http://www.mapserver.org/mapfile/symbology/construction.html#symbols-of-type-pixmap

Using shp2img you can evaluate the output from MapServer.  If you are not
getting quality output from MapServer, then you will not get quality output
in GeoMoose.  If you are getting quality output from MapServer then you can
remove it from the equation and troubleshoot GeoMoose.  The first step
would be to compare the specific request made in GeoMoose and see if the
parameters are the same as what you were using in MapServer.  If so, then
you should be getting similar quality output.  If not, then you can be
focused on trying to configure GeoMoose to be using the same parameters as
you were using in MapServer.

Best Regards, Eli