[Geomoose-users] RFC #5

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:49:42 PDT 2015

For those feeling TL;DR or "Too much developer chatter":

We are folding all of the various geomoose query services
(specifically, select, identify and query) into a single service that
is based around a single "Service" class from which all new services
can inherit.  Also, after that transition is complete, we will be
adding additional support for a table and vector results view of the
data.  The latter of which has been available only in customized
versions of GeoMOOSE to this point.

For reference:
- http://www.geomoose.org/rfc/rfc-5.html

This has been a long time coming and has made some substantial
progress in the last couple of weeks.  For those that are interested
in the nitty-gritty of the implementation you can see the progress
here:

- https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose-services/tree/rfc5

The documentation for the initial code pushes are being placed here:

- https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/issues/60

My hope is to put more of this into separate tickets.  I did want to
get all of the old tests passing before I started moving to expanding
functionality.  There is also some notable missing bits:
1. Custom header/footer template support is not there. Query.php
didn't support that functionality but select did.  I will be adding
that.
2. "saving results" ala select.php is not supported yet. Results
return and a highlight layer functions but it will be constantly
requerying the data.  Caching data in the SQLite database allowed for
less overhead on servers.  Is this still a thing we need? Or can we
assume modern servers can handle a parcel query fast enough to just
requery the data when redrawing the map?
3. Table rendering still doesn't have a UI component solution.
Neither does a Table/Map relational model (IE, highlight something on
the map and get something on the table to show up).  This isn't rocket
science to figure out but the application as of now is missing all of
those interactions.

Thanks everyone!