[Geomoose-users] gm3 first impression

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Sep 20 09:58:55 PDT 2017

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Brian Wilson <brian at wildsong.biz> wrote:
> From what I can tell it's only geared for MS4W at this point; there appears
> to be
> no other useful documentation. Running GIS services on Windows is in my

Which documentation did you check?  This quickstart seems to be for
*nix, https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/quickstart.html

> opinion
> just way too much work. I am trying to use docker these days.

...specifically with docker.   I found that NVM helped get a more
recent node and npm meeting the minimum version requirements.

> The developer quickstart says to look at the "examples".
> The example in "desktop" has a README, just has a MATRESS LABEL in it.

Yes, this is for developer testing instead of production but it does
still go through the process of setting up GeoMoose running in Docker.
I also found the command

cp ../config.js.example config.js

might be more specific as

cp ~/geomoose/gm3/examples/config.js.example
~/geomoose/gm3/examples/desktop/config.js

> The developer doc mentions docker but appears incomplete. It says to fork
> the source repo and then references the docker folder, which does not exist.
>
> Finally I see this buried in a README: "We will have additional Getting
> Started guides once we have demo packages ready for download."

There are tarballs for download on Linux,
https://geomoose.org/download.html.  GeoMoose runs on any thing with
MapServer 7.0+ and some webserver (usually Apache).

The MS4W Quickstart can in part be used on Linux too.  MS4W is a very
convenient easy way to setup a MapServer and Apache environment on
Windows with many preconfigured drop-in-place applications ready to
run as well.  Things in that package can be used as a guide of what to
do on Linux as well.  For instance, this Apache .conf file with the
preconfigured MS4W file paths probably isn't going to work on Linux
but will give you a good idea of how to configure  Apache on Linux,
https://github.com/geomoose/gm3-admin/blob/master/ms4w/httpd_gm3.conf

Merry Mapping and best regards, Eli