[Geomoose-users] Winter break updates 2020-2021

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 05:58:21 PST 2021

Hi Folks!

Took some time to rough-in GeoMoose Feature Editing (RFC-8) over the winter
holiday.

The pull request can be seen here:
- https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/pull/620

My current testing setup is:
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- GeoServer 2.18.1 running in a docker container
- PostgreSQL 10 with PostGIS

What works:
1. New contextual map controls! While working on this feature I found that
the map interactions could get very confusing very quickly. I met with Jim
and Eli to discuss the changes and here is a little screen shot to preview
what the new map controls look like:
[image: image.png]
The controls change based on which tool is currently selected. In this
case, since a feature is being edited, the user has the option to save,
undo, cancel changes, and close the editing tool.

2. Editing a feature's geometry. A feature can be selected, the geometry
changed, and saved back to the server.
3. Creating a new feature. *Only* the geometry can be created at this time.
There are no provisions for editing a feature's properties.
4. Working in a "hybrid" raster/vector mode. In the example screenshot, the
layer is being rendered with WMS but all the editing communications are
happening with WFS-T. This is an expansion of the `query-as` property that
is used for other raster layer queries.

What's missing:
1. Property editing. We have some provisions for this in the Sketch layer
but this is not "wired" into the WFS-T features yet.
2. Support for OGC Features API. This is a more modern API which we haven't
tried against.
3. Testing against TinyOWS. This is the WFS-T server that is included with
MS4W.
4. Tests, in general. The GeoMoose core logic has a lot of tests written
for it to ensure that things do not break between versions but these are
broken in the current MR.

Thanks everyone!