[GeoNode-devel] Q: collaborative mapping with custom data fields and workflow - is geonode the right tool?

Ariel Nunez ingenieroariel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:07:57 PDT 2015

Hello Karma,

Your application sounds very simple and GeoNode is an overkill for it. If
you have a good idea of your data model layout and are familiar with Django
all you need is:

1) django-guardian for per row permission.
2) A simple manual workflow, no need for a custom app
3) Postgis as your data store
4) Integration with a good geojson editor. Search our mailing lists for
posts from John Jediny, he has done similar things in the past.

The use case GeoNode is good for, is when your users are the ones who are
going to upload the geospatial data afterwards, and you need to let people
with no GIS skills or tools be able to know what it is in that
buildings.shp layer that they got access to, who created it, when, who to
contact for an update.

Good luck, django for geospatial apps is a safe bet.
-a