[GeoNode-devel] Create Layer Functionality

Dimitris Karakostis karakostis.dimitris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:32:46 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I would like to open the discussion regarding the development of a Create
Layer functionality, which will give the possibility to users to create and
upload layers in various ways.

Currently I am working on a specific approach in which the user is able to
download a global layer (e.g. country boundaries) as a CSV (without
including the geometry). Opening the CSV in
excel etc., he/she can add new columns or change fields. After applying the
changes, upload it and create a new layer by applying a join with the
existing global layer.

The 'upload' part of the process requires a series of actions to be made.
1) Update the django database with the new layer, 2) Create a new table
with the new layer in the uploads database 3) Create corresponding
layer in geoserver etc.

I searched for open issues regarding this but I didn't find something going
towards this direction. Have someone tried to do something like this in the
past? What approach would you suggest in regards with the syncing of the
different parts (django DB, geoserver, uploads DB).

Cheers
Dimitris