[GeoNode-users] Integration with existing mapserver and associated metadata

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 00:58:39 PST 2016

Dear Tom,

thank you for your kind reply,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Margherita:
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi again,
> > Second issue that I encountered is the following. In our system
> > infrastructure, the data are served by Mapserver, and this is not going
> > change. Introducing GeoNode, however, we want also to introduce the
> > possibility to selected users to publish their data through the
> > infrastructure exploiting the capabilities of GeoNode, so geoserver as
> well.
>
> aside: note that there has been various discussion over the years about
> making
> GeoNode's OWS server backend pluggable, so that one can swap
> out GeoServer for MapServer or something else.  Sounds like this would fit
> your use case.  I think this is worth investigating in the future.

Absolutely, this is the case, and in general I think that it's a very
common case that potential new users might want to extend functionalities
of SDIs already in place, and a modular design of interoperable parts could
help integrate a variety of technologies.

> > And of course we want this to be as seameless as possible. To do this, we
> > thought to deploy data from Mapserver via web service in Geonode. But the
> > blocker here is how to deal with metadata associated to the maps stored
> in
> > mapserver.
>
> Can you clarify here?  What do you mean by maps stored in MapServer?
> Assuming an OWS endpoint, GeoNode can harvest the service and it's
> underlying contents (WMS=layers, WFS=featuretypes, WCS=coverages).

I wasn't clear here, you are right. I was referring to the metadata
catalogue associated to the maps that are deployed via MapServer. Beside
the mapfile, each map has a xml associated. With my previous question, I
meant to ask, what would be of the nice functionalities of search and
discover of the metadata that are associated to the maps connected via web
services to GeoNode Catalogue, rather that uploaded natively in GeoServer.
What I would like to use GeoNode for is the Catalogue mainly, or, if you
want, the nice user interface to pycsw server and its functionalities. If
it were completely pluggable, I'd use only the catalogue and the viewer, on
top of a pycsw instance for the metadata and a MapServer instance.
Do you think this development could be feasible in the near future?
Thank you

--
Margherita Di Leo