[Geoprisma-dev] Tutorial - How to create a GeoPrisma project

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Dec 1 09:18:29 EST 2009

Le lundi 30 novembre 2009 à 20:48 -0500, Stephen Woodbridge a écrit :
> Yves,
>
> Regarding your ideas for easing the creation of maps, I would be
> interested in hearing about your thoughts on that.

Well, we had a phone discussion yesterday about ways to easily share
"maps" between users.  New concepts such as an <application> and a
<mapcontext> should find their way in the configuration file some time
down the road, but that's still up in the airé

> I'm assuming that you
> have had some off list discussions with the dev team. Where does
> GeoPrisma hang out on IRC?

No IRC channel yet.  Do you think (devs also) we need an IRC channel at
this point ?

> I'm making pretty good progress with the perl script to generate
> config.xml by reading the table/column structure from postgis.

Interesting!

> o datastores are all being generated
> o resources without widgets is being generated
> o should be able to have the editfeature_* widgets for each layer
> generating shortly
> o featurepanel_form looks straight forward to generate for each layer
> o mapfishlayertree looks straight forward
>
> I think the big problem will be generating the stylemaps for all the
> layers and the classes within the layers. I might try reading the
> mapfile and see if I can generate simple stylemaps for the layers from that.
>
> But basically I'm taking a fixed layout and widget set and only
> automating the datastore integration with that.

One discussion we had yesterday was to remove widgets from resources per
se.  Resources would be part of a <mapcontext> to be easily shareable
amongst users and widgets would be decoupled from resources by being
referenced in an <application>.  The idea is that folks with access to
super-dooper widgets to interact with data would still have them to
massage resources with.  That is, decouple UI and data.

We still have a bit of work to do to come up with a solid proposition
but expect yet another type of configuration file (with corresponding
driver).  That's what I meant by "easing the creation of maps", but I
guess that will make GP more versatile rather "easier" ;-).

> This also implies the
> dynamic creation of editfeature widgets for all the layers.

Cool!  Thanx for sharing your thoughts and advancements,

Yves