[Geoprisma-dev] Managing branches

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Dec 1 15:39:29 EST 2009

Hi All,

We'll have a need soon (as a provider of GeoPrisma applications to our
field people) to manage GP versions or branches.  We've made a couple of
branches in the past and to my knowledge those branches weren't really
used by people deploying GeoPrisma.  Now from a SCM point of view we
need to be able to know the difference between two branches irrespective
of what happens in trunk.

An example.  We cut a branch at some revision number, say branch 0.5 at
-r123.  A change is committed to that branch (-r124) and then a number
of changes, say between r125 and r166, happen on trunk.  Then some more
work happen on branch 0.5, say r167 to r170.  At that point we're happy
with branch 0.5 and we create branch 0.5.1 FROM branch 0.5 (not trunk,
which is still at r166).  So r170 = branch 0.5.1.

What we want if the possibility to diff 0.5.1 with 0.5.  We want to skip
all revisions that happened in trunk, so we want diff r170 to r123 but
without the changes in trunk.

I followed the explanations here to have a diff between two
tags/branches :
So I went :

svn diff --summarize
https://svn.osgeo.org/geoprisma/projects/geoprisma/branches/releases/0.5
https://svn.osgeo.org/geoprisma/projects/geoprisma/branches/releases/0.5.1

Which gave me a list of files all right, but how can I be sure it's the
diff I'm looking for ?  In fact that example is a bad one because in
that case we cut the 0.5.1 branch NOT from branch 0.5 but rather from
trunk.  But if we had done it from the branch, would I get the diff
between the two branches I'm looking for ?

Thanx for an SVN 101 course.

Yves