[Geoprisma-dev] mod_deflate

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Dec 2 12:26:52 EST 2009

> >>   With apache mod_deflate, we were able to get a compressed ext-all.js
> >> file of 167K, as light as jquery tools :)
> >>

> > Good job.  Browsers still behave well ?
>
> Yes, the 'nightly' compressed version of MapFish uses it.

I don't understand.  The nightly compressed JS uses jsbuild.  That
weighs in at 1,1 MB.  So do you mean that this 1,1 MB compressed file
gets shrunk down to 167 K using mod_deflate ?

Playing around with the 1,1 MB file, I tried compressing it using the
default Ubuntu "zipper" and I got :

- 206 K in .7z format
- 260 K in .zip format

So mod_deflate uses a more aggressive compression scheme I guess.

Cheers,

Yves