[Geoprisma-dev] config.xml ideas : automatism

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Thu Dec 17 12:39:31 EST 2009

> Overall, it is my newbie opinion that there appears to be a lot of
> duplication.

We all recognize that indeed.  I also find things rather awkward to
explain to our users here ...

> I would like to describe more datastore or resource once
> probably in more detail and then only reference it by name elsewhere.
>
> Having a datastore with 10 layers that might be used for either WMS or
> WFS via featureserver should only require me to define it all in detail
> in one place. Then things like featurepanel_form and layertree, etc
> should look at that and configure themselves based on the information
> available.
>
> For example, I find doing a querybyclick and a featurepanel_form to be
> extremely redundant.

I agree that widget interdependencies are somewhat arbitrary and would
gain some fleshing out work.  But do we go into that now ?  One day or
another we'll definitely have to address config.xml issues.  When that
day will be is the big question.  Do we simplify GP use now at the
expense of developing end user functionality ?

At one point we had defined a number of milestones to call GP a "1.0"
version.  I have tentatively tried to organize Trac tickets in
milestones, but some I intentionally left unassigned (in terms of
version or milestone) because I don't know when they should be handled.
An obvious printing story was definitely one of the milestones we wanted
for a 1.0.  My suggestion : let's define what we want for a 1.0, do
that, then do a spin on simplifying the xml.  Makes sense ?

> Anyway, my two cents as someone very new to the project as a user.

Thanx for sharing your thoughts !

Yves