Re: [Geoprisma-dev] #9250 (Add jQuery Tools to base install) – Plone

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 11 10:27:11 EST 2009

Yves,

  OK, I understand better as well.  I'll simply point out a quote you used :

from jQuery Tools : "Let's face it: do you really need
drag-and-drop, resizable windows or sortable lists in your web
applications? Websites are not desktop applications. They are
different ... What you really need are tabs, tooltips, accordions,
overlays, high usability, striking visual effects ..."

  Well, a website is not a desktop application, but GeoPrisma is.  ExtJS
has so much tools and cool stuff to offer (like panels, tree, toolbars,
actions, etc.) that it would be hard to make a jQuery Tools wrapper for
OpenLayers intead of ExtJS.  And having "some" parts removed and
replaced by jQuery would sound kinda "hybrid"...

  It would be possible to have some tools created in jQuery Tools, but
not all.  So a jQT "drawmode" would have its limits, but would be faster
and better than html only.  So, in the end, useful but with its limits.

  My 2 cents,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé