[Geoprisma-dev] Tutorial - How to create a GeoPrisma project

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Nov 30 22:44:06 EST 2009

Hmmm,

All,

New comer to the list.  This backend stuff is of interest though.  Doing essentially the same thing right now with RUBY/Rails and POSTGIS, one thing on the editing, depending on how far you want to take the authenticating.  We decided early on (time will tell if we bit off too much here . . ) to use metadata to describe the attribute columns as well as some of the (global) spatial columns.  This allows for automated attribute form generation alongside of a text based form for updating the Spatial elements, which may or may not be of interest here.  The key point I'm making though, is that by using a (somewhat) standard (FGDC) metadata scheme, it allowed for quite a bit of automation, including pick lists and the like.

I think there is possible application with the same sort of approach to styling of maps.  We're building Mapfiles and the forms on the fly right now, nothing static, all DB sourced.   Related to this we also went a bit off the deep end with regard to using SLDs, which are also stored in the database as default views.  Why go to all this trouble, well, we now have a mechanism for storing any sld that's applied to the service as well as possible building out of a user chooser system that is all sourced from the database.

Just some food for thought as you move forward.

P.S.  I'm a few steps behind Stephen in looking at GeoPrisma and experimenting with it.

bobb

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 11/30/09 7:49 PM >>>
Yves,

Regarding your ideas for easing the creation of maps, I would be
interested in hearing about your thoughts on that. I'm assuming that you
have had some off list discussions with the dev team. Where does
GeoPrisma hang out on IRC?

I'm making pretty good progress with the perl script to generate
config.xml by reading the table/column structure from postgis.

o datastores are all being generated
o resources without widgets is being generated
o should be able to have the editfeature_* widgets for each layer
generating shortly
o featurepanel_form looks straight forward to generate for each layer
o mapfishlayertree looks straight forward

I think the big problem will be generating the stylemaps for all the
layers and the classes within the layers. I might try reading the
mapfile and see if I can generate simple stylemaps for the layers from that.

But basically I'm taking a fixed layout and widget set and only
automating the datastore integration with that. This also implies the
dynamic creation of editfeature widgets for all the layers.

-Steve