[Geoprisma-users] Auto hiding of vector layers if no editpermissions?

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Sun Dec 20 23:24:47 EST 2009

All,

This is something that I've had to decide over the years as well.  What's the best way of presenting the edit "MODE" of operation from within, primarily a viewer.

Some food for thought here . . .

I've implemented in this type of situation as:

  * A separate, edit only, interface.
  * An edit "MODE" inside of the interface (same sorts of control problems that Stephen is having though)
  * And controlling the authentication on a resource by resource basis.  While this may seem like the wrong way to go on the surface, it has helped with distributing the maintenance tasks, since every layer  (or service) is independent and doesn't affect any of the others.  I understand that this wouldn't help in those situations where one person or team is editing things, but I also think the data should be maintained by the originators when possible.

bobb

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 12/20/09 5:01 PM >>>
Hi all,

I am wondering what is the best approach to hiding WFS vector layers in
the mapfish layertree and the application in general when the user only
has read permissions.

Permissions are tied to resources and a resource defines both WMS and
WFS capabilities for a resource. If the user has "read" access then both
are configured in the layertree which clutters the GUI if you have 10
layers defined that show up twice. It seems that there should be a way
to say WFS is shown always or WFS is shown only if required by edit
widget. This would be like adding a dependency to an object.

This would allow WFS only resources to continue to be displayed if need
because they did not have a WMS alternative, but would allow you to
eliminate those that did have a WMS alternative.

Thoughts?

-Steve