[geos-devel] RE: Algorithm to label polygons consecutively

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Fri Aug 29 11:44:43 EDT 2003

> is anybody aware of an algorithm in which a collection of polygon shapes
> (parcels) can be given unique numbers starting at the top, right and in
> such a way that all the numbers are consecutive in geographical space.

I agree with Norman - I don't think it's even possible to determine a labelling with this property in the general case, let alone come up with a reasonable algorithm for it.

How about this as an algorithm to generate a labelling "close" to the desired one?

- Compute a "location point" for each polygon (Not sure what the best point to choose would be - JTS has an algorithm for inside point, or you could use the centroid of the envelope, or you could simply use the uppermost point of the polygon)
- Form the adjacency graph of the coverage
- Assign costs to the edges based on the relative locations of the edge nodes (based on some sort of distance function such the distance between location points)
- Do a depth-first traversal of the graph assigning the labelling, always choosing the minimum cost edge to follow

The hard part here is forming the adjacency graph, but even that's not that hard if you're willing to do it in a brute-force kind of way.  Simply spatially index the polygons and use the touches predicate to find all neighbours

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street   Victoria, B.C.   V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040    Fax: (250) 385 6046