[geos-devel] Include Refactoring

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Feb 12 14:09:51 EST 2003

Martin Davis wrote:
> I agree with Norman - it seems much cleaner to put all the include
> files into a geos subdirectory.
>
> Actually, I'm surprised that this concept of installing include files
> into a single common directory even exists.  Surely the directory
> gets ridiculouly massive, and there's huge risk of name collisions?
> Why wouldn't all the src files for GEOS go into single geos
> subdirectory (e.g. the way it's organized on the CVS?)

I cannot give you the "why", I can just tell you "how it is" here in
UNIX sysadmin land. Sure, include directories (and lib directories) get
pretty massive and fuddling, which is why package management has become
all the rage.

> The current way just seems like a Unix version of "DLL hell"....

It's more of a DLL purgatory, since most linking library version
problems can be solved with a recompilation. Not an option outside of
the open source world.

--
       __
      /