[geos-devel] Re: gettimeofday for win32

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 09:22:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:48:09 +0100, strk at refractions.net
<strk at refractions.net> wrote:
> Nobody should use win32 ;)
> Anyway, I know nothing about it and I'm not willing to learn.

Strk,

Well, I can sympathize with that position, even if I can't take
it myself.

> I think Yury, who's done the initial porting develops under
> Visual C++ - check out VisualStudio directory, probably outdated.
> Of course if anyone provides working scripts for that builds
> I'll include it in the distro.

I don't see any VisualStudio directory in the 2.1.0 distribution.   Is
it only available in CVS?  I don't really want a project/workspace
file anyways, though I suppose if it worked smoothly enough it
would do.

Paul -- yes, if you can provide CVS access I am willing to commit
VC.NET NMAKEfiles in the GDAL/PROJ/MapServer style.  I will
check with the list on any code changes before commiting them
though.

Norman -- I think the problems I encountered are indeed
just compiler related, not really win32 issues.  I didn't keep
careful notes on my first run at stuff but they included:

 o The definition of int64 in platform.h lacks a win32 case.
 o The use of the long long static uid in various items in geom.h caused
    a problem.   I just hacked out the UIDs as they don't seem to have any
    purpose.
 o The base class toVector() returns a const result while the overrides return
    non-const. I had to change the base to non-const as well, though I am
    not clear what the original intent was.
 o Some problems with time stuff for the profiler.  It was your mention of
    this that made me think you were building on win32 as well.

I haven't gone back to try things on VC6 but if I do, i will
keep the stlport thing in mind.  I do my FWTools builds with
VC6, so if I am to GEOS enable that distribution I will need to
solve VC6 builds.

Best regards,