[geos-devel] OGR and Shape.idx

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Feb 13 13:51:01 EST 2004

> Düster Horst wrote:
> > I work with large datasets > 1'000'000 recs in a PostGIS DB. For
direct use
> > with ArcView we need to export these data to ESRI shapefiles with
ogr2ogr.
> > This export works automatically and nightly very stable. Now I'm faced
with
> > the problem that this export doesn't create spatial indexes. Working
with
> > this data in ArcView is very slow. My solution today, I create this
> > by hand with ArcView every day.

What version of ArcView are you targetting?

> Isn't there a way of launching ArcView scripts "in batch" as part of
your
> whole transfer process?

One of the more powerful ways I've found (for external scripting of
Arcview3) may be to use the AvPython product.
http://avpython.sourceforge.net/

Many have confirmed that for Arc9, rudimentary python scripting support
will be available and bundled with ArcMap!

Tyler