[geos-devel] GEOS<3>

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Apr 20 04:50:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:30:27AM +0100, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> strk at refractions.net wrote:

> >>Oh, my.  I hope it's not for some perverse form of vector re-sizing.
> >>

> >I found it like that and failed to clean it up as most of the current
> >code. Changing - again - will break API.
> >Actually I think we can really start a GEOS3 branch and do a big
> >lifting on it.
> >

> I'm up for it:-)
>
> Have you heard anything from Dale Lutz?

He announced is going to send me the patches, some of which
are controversial (I think the CoordinateSequence ones, non-allowing
higher-dimensioned Coordinates) but compile-time definable.

For the GEOS<3> branch I'd first make a plan, as I belive the hard
thing with GEOS is keeping a stable ABI. The first change would be
some kind of ABI wrapper or similar thing ... but I don't know yet
how to do it. The only thing I imagined was a flat-namespaced C wrapper
like the one produced for JTS and the one implemented inside postgis.

I'm currently working on porting the WKB parser for specifically this
purpose.

> >>And again, why  not write:

> >We can do this and I actually started doing it somewhere, but as far
> >as args are pointers this doesn't really speed things up...
> >

> True, but it is confusing. Lets make GEOS better platform!

Patches in this direction are accepted.

--strk;