[geos-devel] Re: GEOS Improvements from Safe

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Apr 21 09:20:26 EDT 2005

Graeme, thanks for your contribution.
Here are a few notes:

1) CGAlgorithms was no different from current CVS.

2) NonRobustCGAlgorithms is currently unused, like RobustCGAlgorithms
   we have a single CGAlgorithms being the robust implementation.
   I've removed the other two from the list of object compiled into
   the library.

3) The only applied patch was agains mergeZ() function, removing
   Coordinates copy. What remains are the 'controversial' ones.

I'd discuss the 'controversial' ones on geos-devel.
I think the Geomgraph change could be ported to JTS as well
while for the CoordinateSequence we should probably port
JTS changes, which allow higher dimensioned Coordinates.

If - as will probably be - we're going to work on GEOS3 we might
make the CoordinateSequence a template class allowing for functions
inlining still keeping the flexibility of using other Coordinate
implementations. This would require more analisys though. Applying
your patches now would work for an eventual 2.1.2 version of GEOS
altought I'm really not sure about ABI compatibility with 2.1.1...
should check it.

Finally.. do you have any performance test comparing runs
with OPTIMIZE_COORD_SEQUENCE_FOR_SPEED on and off ?

--strk;