[geos-devel] ABI/API status and future development thougths

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Thu Apr 21 13:26:30 EDT 2005

Strk, here's my input for you...

It seems like every change that anyone wants to make right now is going
to break ABI, so I say start a new branch, and stop worrying about it.

You have already identified the best way to prevent further ABI breakage
- the "compatibility layer", and switching everything over to using it
will effectively be an API breakage - so you might as well fit the other
API-breaking changes into the same branch (exception throwing, etc.). If
you plan these changes carefully, it should be possible to limit future
API breakage, perhaps by adding new/alternative functions instead of
replacing/breaking existing ones.

You might also want to think about what exactly the goals of GEOS are -
to continue to mirror JTS development, or to move away from the Java
roots and into a more optimized C++ implementation? I think that since
there now exists the GJC option for a direct JTS-to-C-compatible
compilation option, it makes more sense for GEOS to work towards being
more optimized for C++, while still sharing algorithm changes
back-and-forth with JTS.

I hope that's useful input...
Chris