[geos-devel] Problems building PostGIS Head on Linux

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Fri Dec 9 13:54:41 EST 2005

I've been building PostGIS on linux (and Windows) using the autoconf
tool chain without problems, until the 1.1CVS version (I noticed the
problem last month and I still have it).

When building the current head version of CVS I run into two issues.
First, the build scripts can't find postgres.h.  Second, they install
lwgeom in the wrong place.

Setup:
 * postgresql 8.1 in usr/src/postgresql-8.1
 * postgis 1.0.6 in the contrib directory as postgis-1.0.6
 * postgis 1.1 cvs in the contrib directory as postgis

With postgis 1.0.6 I can do ./configure --enable-autoconf --with-geos
--with-proj4 and everything works as expected.  With postgis 1.1CVS this
does not work because when I run make gcc can't find postgres.h. To make
it work I have to run make like this:

make CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/src/postgresql-8.1/src/include'

Then run I run make install the libraries get installed to /usr/bin,
instead of /usr/bin/postgresql where they should go.  I tried playing
with the config --libdir and --libexecdir to no avail.

Output from pg_config (where I think postgis is getting its build info
from is) is included below.  Wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Charlie

BINDIR = /usr/bin
DOCDIR = /usr/doc
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/include
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/include/server
LIBDIR = /usr/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /usr/lib
LOCALEDIR =
MANDIR = /usr/man
SHAREDIR = /usr/share
SYSCONFDIR = /usr/etc
PGXS = /usr/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
CONFIGURE =
CC = gcc
CPPFLAGS = -D_GNU_SOURCE
CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/pgsql/lib
LDFLAGS_SL =
LIBS = -lpgport -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.1.0