[geos-devel] JTS/GEOS performance

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Tue Feb 1 13:52:23 EST 2005

Well it's good to hear that GEOS isn't wildly different to JTS timings
after all.

After some more thought I think there may be some improvements which
don't require implementing smart ptrs and ref counting (not that these
are bad things to do, they just take time).

I suspect that heavy use is being made of
CoordinateSequence::getCoordinate, and that this is resulting in many
Coordinate objects being allocated.  A better pattern for callers is to
preallocate a single Coordinate and then use getCoordinate(Coordinate *)
to retrieve coordinate values into it.  (JTS doesn't do this now, but
will be moving to this style to reduce *its* allocation of Coordinate
objects).

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046