[geos-devel] JTS/GEOS performance

Mark Coletti mcoletti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 11:08:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:44 -0800, Chris G. Nicholas
<cgn at globexplorer.com> wrote:
> >  an enterprise api should have both smart pointers and ref-counting available as an option.

> Martin is certainly correct that smart pointers, reference counting and garbage collection are all related.  But one has to decide if a geometry API and in-memory features are fundamentally multithreaded animals, what their persistence mechanisms are, and what happens when one thread does wierd things while others are interested in a particular feature.  [...]

> I would argue that reasonable assumptions, i.e. simple thread safety and *s*p*e*e*d*, are
> much more preferrable than exotic special cases. Straightforward readers/writer locks
> should suffice; (not sure what the pthread equivalent is, but on Solaris it is rwlock(3thr) ) .

The Boost C++ Library offers reference-counting smart pointers that
have built-in thread locking.  See shared_ptr class at
http://boost.org/.  The Boost library also offers a large number of
other useful classes, functions, and macros.

Cheers,

Mark
--
I'm taking reality in small doses to build immunity.