[geos-devel] WKB, STL and byte streams

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Jul 11 10:50:25 EDT 2005

Ok, further inspecting the problem reported in previous mail
I found out that GCC-3.3.x is not providing an implementation
for non-specilized char_traits template.

This means that our basic_stringstream<unsigned char> typedef
used as a default for WKB input/output won't find a definition
when compiled with those compiler versions (build will fail).
Not a good default, is it ?

Moreover, the default implementation provided in 3.4.3 is
reported to be likely wrong:

   *  @note For any given actual character type, this definition is
   *  probably wrong.  (Most of the member functions are likely to be
   *  right, but the int_type and state_type typedefs, and the eof()
   *  member function, are likely to be wrong.)  The reason this class
   *  exists is so users can specialize it.  Classes in namespace std
   *  may not be specialized for fundamentl types, but classes in
   *  namespace __gnu_cxx may be.

Do you have any suggestion about a standard way to handle
binary streams-or-buffer or should we provide our own class
for that (as JTS does?).