[geos-devel] RE: [jts-devel] The future of JTS and GEOS

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Mar 10 03:57:33 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:53:34AM -0800, Martin Davis wrote:
> > The point I want to make, is that I think GEOS is worthwhile
> > because of it it's relative ease of porting using a variety
> > of compilers.
>
> I agree...  While GCJ is great where it fits, there's still a clear use
> for a cross-platform standalone C++ library.

Good, then let's bring GEOS to next level.
Since GEOS API is so unstable I suggest we make a wrapper which can be
used by both C++ and C code, using objects handles, simplified memory
management and no exceptions (somthing similar to current geos_wrapper from
postgis).  The wrapper should survive big internal changes allowing
a painless transition to high performance code.

The facilities offered by the C++ language would then be used by inner
code alone, or by whoever decide to include "inner" headers giving up
stability of interface.

What do people think about this ?

--strk;