[geos-devel] Win32 porting

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Nov 7 05:44:47 EST 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:52:09PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have commited a variety of updates to GEOS related to
> win32 porting.  I'm not sure this is a comprehensive list but
> it is the main points.
>
>  o source/Makefile.vc updated to include changed file list,
>     to build DLL and to build geostest.exe.
>  o capi/geostest.c: avoid use of non-portable "vasprintf" and
>     make large buffer static instead of placing it on the stack.
>  o capi/geos_c.h.in, capi/geos_c.cpp: Added GEOS_DLL
>    macro and incorporated into all prototypes so that functions
>    are exported from the DLL.
>
> Is the VisualStudio directory being maintained?  If not, I would
> like permission to remove it.  It confused me, so I imagine
> it will confuse others.

Since nobody answered I think you can safely remove it.

> I will note that win32 builds are complicated by the need to manually
> add version information in version.h and geos_c.h.  Will these
> files be distributed with version info embedded in release snapshots?

Currently not, they are created by ./configure.

> I was able to use geostest.exe linked against the GEOS DLL.
> C++ programs cannot use the DLL since the C++ API is not
> exported.

What I'd really like to do is provide a narrower API for C++
as well. I hate being unable to touch anything w/out breaking
the *huge* API. We might move Doxygen documentation, DLL
exports and all to geos.h and completely avoiding to install
other internal headers. How many users will be influenced by
such a change (I can only think of FME) ?