[geos-devel] Petition for a 2.2.2 release

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Feb 28 10:57:31 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:37:42PM -0700, Sean Gillies wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2006, at 11:11 AM, strk at refractions.net wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:42:35AM -0700, Sean Gillies wrote:
> >>I'd really like to see a GEOS 2.2.2 release that adds GEOSArea and
> >>GEOSGeomType to the C API and also incorporates some recent work
> >>Howard Butler has done to enabling linking the GEOS DLL with MSVC 6.
> >>I'm willing to help out as much as I can. I could do some of the
> >>boring stuff like running the tests, updating docs, writing a release
> >>note. I am also willing to step up and help out with support of the
> >>old 2.2 branch. How does that sound?
> >
> >Sounds good to me.
> >
> >>One more question: how far out is 3.0?
> >
> >Far enough to make 2.2.2 a good idea :)
> >
> >--strk;
> Great! Howard and I committed changes to geos_c.cpp, geos_c.h.in, and  
> also an nmake file into branch-2-2. I also incremented the revision  
> in configure.in so that the C API is 1.0.2, same as the CVS HEAD.
> Call on me when it is time to release.

Please take a look at the HOW_TO_RELEASE file in HEAD.
It contains information on the process. It's a pretty
new file, so let me know if you have any question you'd
like to discuss.

Note that it has been written w/out thinking about a 2.2.2 release,
so I'm not sure about implications of the 2.2.2 release.

In particular, in HEAD we decided to name C++ library after release,
with every release breaking ABI with previous (libgeos-2.2.2.so).

The 2.2. branch shouldn't have this big change, so we should make it
binary-compatible with the previous, thus only incrementing MICRO
version (libgeos.so.2.2.2). We should check if everything goes as
expected still followin the same release process.


More information about the geos-devel mailing list