[geos-devel] initGEOS/finishGEOS and multiple subsystems

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Tue Jul 4 11:44:53 EDT 2006

On Jul 4, 2006, at 2:16 AM, strk at refractions.net wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 10:42:56AM -0500, Stephen Lime wrote:
>> Is there any issue with the error/warning functions that may be
>> pointed
>> to? Can different
>> subsystems use separate functions at the same time?
>
> One issue is surely that you *need* to provide them, or the
> code will segfault (I should probably provide a default handler
> instead). About different subsistems the answer is NO, the handlers
> are global functions, so only two different processes can use
> different handlers.
>
> --strk;

Wow, this is going to make it really hard for the GDAL, MapServer,
and PCL (Python Cartographic Library) Python modules to play together
unless I distribute non-GEOS GDAL and MapServer modules along with
PCL releases.

I missed a lot of this email discussion, and certainly missed
anything that may have been discussed on IRC last week. Is there a
possibility of initGEOS and finishGEOS passing in the case that it's
already been initialized or finished? If so, users could control the
behavior of the GEOS handlers by importing ogr.py, mapscript.py, or
geometry.py first.

Sean

---
Sean Gillies