[geos-devel] CAPI versioning and branches

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Jul 7 15:19:02 EDT 2006

Moving toward releases 2.2.3 and 3.0.0 I've been thinking
we'll have problem with CAPI lib versioning.

Problem is we need to make sure CAPI from 2.2 branch
is less- versioned then from HEAD. The only solution
that comes to my mind is incrementing the minor number
in HEAD, even if there is no change at all (well, there
is a micro change in this case, but as a generally rule).

So, 2.2.3 would come out with CAPI 1.1.1 and 3.0.0 with
CAPI 1.2.0. SONAME should always be set to libgeos_so.1
so that minor increments won't be binary-incompatible.

How does it sound ?

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
  X     Keep e-mail messages readable by any computer system.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.