[geos-devel] Handling C and C++ API with geos-config

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Sat Jul 8 18:51:28 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 02:07:01AM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Proposal 1)
>
> - add new macros HAVE_GEOS_CAPI,
> GEOS_CAPI_LIBS, GEOS_CAPI_VERSION
>
> (the latter is impossible at the moment)
>
> GEOS_LIBS="`geos-config --ldflags` -lgeos"
> GEOS_CAPI_LIBS="`geos-config --ldflags` -lgeos_c

After a brief discussion on #postgis we decided to
drop the GEOS_CAPI_VERSION part. We want to expose
a single version, which is *release* version, not
any *abi* version.

I'm still unsure about these two alternatives for
the geos-config part:

(1)
> Add --capi option to geos-config?

(2)
> geos-config - checks for C++ API
> geos-c-config - this option follows lib naming style libgeos and libgeos-c

Maybe, we don't need any of the two, as long as the --ldflags
switch doesn't output either -lgeos or -lgeos_c
(the geos.m4 macro can do this for foreign packages)