[geos-devel] predicates on geometry collections supported?

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Mar 22 14:28:20 EST 2006

What the documentation means to say is that the operation:

Overlaps( geomentryCollection1, geomertryCollection2 )

is not supported. The reason for this is two-fold, as I understand it.
Firstly, the meaning of the predicates in terms of comparing two
geometry collections with eachother is not obvious (nor is it defined by
the "Simple Features" spec), and secondly, I believe there are issues
with math when you are dealing with collections, that make it impossible
to robustly and consistently determine the result of the predicates,
even if the meaning were defined.

However, GEOS _does_ support the operation:

Overlaps( geometry1, geometry2 )

which _is_ defined by the Simple Features spec, and in natural language
might be described as using a predicate on a collection of geometries
(namely, the collection containing geometry1 and geometry2). So
hopefully that answers your question...

Chris