[geos-devel] troubles understanding GEOS

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Tue Nov 28 08:38:46 EST 2006

Hi, Tobias,

Tobias Nothdurft wrote:

> But which parts do i have to use, if I want to use the quadtree-functionality of
> GEOS in my programm? Only GEOS itself or PostGIS and PostgreSQL to? Do i have to
> set up a database myself first or does GEOS this job for my?

If you want to use the quadtree-functionality of GEOS for some goemetry
processing, you don't need PostgreSQL and PostGIS at all.

GEOS is just a geometry processing library, geos by itsself doesn't do
anything with databases.

You can use PostGIS/PostgreSQL for storage of your geometries, or
GDAL/OGR, but you don't have to.

Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org