[geos-devel] troubles understanding GEOS

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Tue Nov 28 09:18:45 EST 2006

Hi, Tobias,

Tobias Nothdurft wrote:

> But there has to be a gain to link my programm with some kind of database when i
> have to handle hundreds or thousands of objects! :) So how do I accomplish this
> connection? With the WKT-reader and -writer?

Yes, or you can use libpqxx directly.

Databases provide you with a higher layer of abstraction. With PostGIS,
you can e. G. load all your linestrings in a table, create an
geometrical index on it, and then easily and efficiently fetch all
linestrings in a specific area with a query like:

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE the_geom && 'BOX(1 2,3 4)'::box2d;

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org