[geos-devel] Python/Swig/Configure Bug

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Thu Aug 30 13:23:59 EDT 2007

> Hi Charlie,
>
> I think so - however I'm still confused as to why you need the
> --regenerate-swig-wrappers option? Can this not be handled as a standard
> make target, i.e. regeneration becomes dependent upon the timestamp of
> geos.i / geos.i.in?

Hi Mark,

The reason we check in the SWIG generated wrappers is:

* To avoid the user having to install SWIG
* For the MSVC++ build - if you don't include the wrappers then users
have to install SWIG and manually create the wrappers themselves from
the command line
* You have to use SWIG 1.3.28 or higher, which when we did this a year
and a half ago was not the version shipped with most Linux distros.
That has probably changed by now.

Probably the strongest argument is to include the wrappers is MSVC++.

So the logic would be:

If swig installed swig version >= 1.3.28
   Regenerate the wrappers
Else
   Use pre-generated wrappers
End

Then you'd need to set some flag so that the makefiles in swig/ruby and
swig/python know whether to run SWIG or not.  Currently that is done via
--enable-swig.  I was thinking --regenerate-swig-wrappers might be more
clear, but perhaps not.

But in the end, --enable-ruby --enable-python should build the bindings
whether SWIG is installed or not.

Is that more clear?

Charlie