[geos-devel] Problem with building 3.0.0rc

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Fri Dec 28 10:44:33 EST 2007

Charlie Savage wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> I'm encountering a problem with the 3.0 release candidate that blocks a
>> build on my Ubuntu 6.10 i686.
>>
>> "configure --prefix=/tmp; make; make install" bails out here:
>>
>> I don't understand why the install-pkgpythonPYTHON target is attempted
>> when I haven't enabled the swig python bindings. Any idea what's up here?
>
> Thinking about this more, I think the way this was setup is to run SWIG
> if the bindings file (*.cxx) is older than any changes to the SWIG
> interface files (*.i).
>
> That should not be the case unless you've modified the interface files,
> or they've somehow been modified in SVN since the generation of the
> *.cxx files.
>
> Charlie

I wonder then if I'm experiencing an unintended side effect. I've not
enabled swig python or ruby and swig is not run to produce wrappers
(good), but the machine still steps into swig/python/Makefile and
executes targets therein, even attempting to byte compile nonexistant
modules.

IMO, unless swig/python is explicitly enabled, make should skip that
branch of the tree. Or am I overlooking something?

Sean