[geos-devel] Polygonize produces wrong results

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Fri May 11 02:52:37 EDT 2007

I try to use the polygonize function with PostGIS and ogr2ogr Interlis driver. In both cases geos 3.0.0RC4 may produce wrong results. Take a look at the attached images.

The image lines.png shows the initial situation. Many lines which represent 3 polygons.
The result of running polygonize shows the image result_polygon.png.

To reproduce this behaviour I attach the example line_test_small.zip geometry as shape-file.

The problem seems to be the very close postitioned vertex points at the two resolved curved features. When I reduce the number of these vertex points to half of numbers the polygonize process will finish successful. Try it out. It looks like a rounding problem??

My system
GCC-3.4.4
GEOS-3.0.0RC4
RedHat AS4