[geos-devel] GEOS -> New Home / New Leadership

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 23 10:20:04 EDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> All,
>
> At FOSS4G, I had a long discussion with folks from Safe, Ingres, and
> Autodesk about the future of GEOS. The bottom line is that they are all
> interested in investing more in extending and moving GEOS forwards.

Paul,

Great news!

> In order to make those investments more effective and future-proof and
> give the companies a voice in the project going forward, I am proposing
> a number of measures:
>
> (a) At a technical level, having a Trac infrastructure for bugs and wiki
> notes and code browsing would be nice. I can set that up myself, but
> OSGeo already has that infrastructure. So I propose migrating the code
> to the OSGeo infrastructure, if possible.

Beautiful!

> (b) At a steering level, taking the Project Steering Committee (PSC)
> role out of the explicit control of a single maintainer (historically
> funded by Refractions) and into a full PSC.

and better...

> (c) A and B above are in aid of an eventual move into OSGeo Incubation
> and full OSGeo project membership. We know these will have to be done to
> enter OSGeo, so might as well start now.

and better again :-)

> I would like to get the PSC boot-strapped with representatives from the
> existing user/developer base of GEOS.
>
> May I propose:

I've taken a liberty to vote as a member of GEOS developers..

> - Martin Davis, Refractions, who has an understanding of the architecture

+1

> - Representatives of Autodesk and Safe, who already have "skin in the
> game" and are gearing up for more development

+1

> - Howard Butler, who can navigate our passage into the OSGeo
> infrastructure world, and provide a viewpoint from build maintenance and
> script bindings

+1

> This PSC can serve for six months, adding whomever it sees fit, and then
> be re-formed based on the conditions in March 2008.
>
> Thoughts?

Generally, I believe this motion will bring a lot of benefits to the
project and its community.

After the PSC is formed, project uses, developers and PSC could discuss
future plans in details, for now the "revitalization" plan looks very
good to me.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot