[geos-devel] Problems compiling GEOS on windows, missing *.inl files

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jul 15 06:27:10 EDT 2008

Anders Moe pisze:
> I've downloaded the SVN nightly, but I'm experiencing several
> problems (using VC 2005)
>
> 1) The dirlist.mk file doesn't exist, so the make immediately fails.
> I had to remove the
>
> !INCLUDE dirlist.mk
>
> statement from makefile.vc

I don't know what is the exact procedure generating SVN Nightly
packages, but perhaps it's broken.
So, I'd suggest to get sources directly from SVN trunk:

svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/geos/trunk geos-svn

dirlist.mk file is available in SVN trunk (I've confirmed).

> 2) I then get lots of errors because the *.inl files are missing. I
> did get a compile simply by commenting out statements like
>
> #include myfil.inl
>
> but ended up getting a lot of linking errors at the end.
>
> Same problem with 3.0. Is GEOS supported at all on windows ?

Yes, GEOS is supported on Windows with Visual C++ compiler, for sure.
Please, tell me what steps you have taken to build it, what commands?
Verify, if it looks like this:

http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/WikiStart#Windows

All commands are supposed to be issued from the top-level directory,
the same where bootstrap.bat lives.

However, I've checked and can confirm that the geos-3.0.0.tar.bz2
package is incomplete. The dirlist.mak and bootstrap.bat files are not
included. The procedure generating .tar.gz/.zip package obviously need
to be updated to include missing files.

Paul, could you check it?

Regards