[geos-devel] RE: [postgis-devel] 1, dot, 3 dot 4!

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 06:11:49 EDT 2008

> Okay here is my complete patch.  I'm still fussing with my install to get
> my postgis compile to take the new GEOS (insists on hanging on to the
> 3.1.0), but the GEOS 3.0.2 with the attached seems to compile fine on my
> OpenSUSE 11 vm.

You should be able to nudge this using the --with-geos-config option to
configure which you can use to force PostGIS to use a particular GEOS
installation.

> Like I mentioned before - many file changes, mostly adding headers,
> XMLTester - changing .. to std::.
>
> The only one I'm not really sure about is the CLocalizer one since that
> was so different from trunk and adding the missing top header wasn't
> enough, I just replaced with trunk version.

Yup, exactly the right call - keep them both in sync as much as possible.

> If someone with the new gcc can test this out /Debian etc. that would be
> great.

Way to go Regina!

I just applied your patch to the GEOS 3.0.2 and this fixes compilation
under both Debian Lenny gcc-4.3 and MingW :)

Note: I still see some XMLTester warnings like this:

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../source/headers
-I../../source/headers/geos -I../../source/headers
-I../../source/io/markup    -g -O2 -DGEOS_INLINE -Wall -ansi -pedantic
-Wno-long-long -MT MarkupSTL.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/MarkupSTL.Tpo" -c -o
MarkupSTL.o `test -f 'markup/MarkupSTL.cpp' || echo
'./'`markup/MarkupSTL.cpp; \
        then mv -f ".deps/MarkupSTL.Tpo" ".deps/MarkupSTL.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/MarkupSTL.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp: In member function ‘std::string
CMarkupSTL::x_TextToDoc(const char*, bool) const’:
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:910: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:910: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:910: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:910: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:910: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp: In member function ‘std::string
CMarkupSTL::x_TextFromDoc(int, int) const’:
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:939: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:939: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:939: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:939: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:939: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
markup/MarkupSTL.cpp:941: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’

I'm not too worried about these as they are outside of the core library,
however I suspect someone with more C++ knowledge would be able to fix
them fairly easily.

Pretty please can we get this applied to the GEOS 3.0 branch, and schedule
either a new 3.0.3 RC or 3.0.3 release within the next couple of weeks?

Many thanks,

Mark.