[geos-devel] More nagging questions about GEOS Capi

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 18 13:20:39 EDT 2008

I apologize for being a bit long-winded here.

Recall I mentioned that Geometry.Union() does some short-circuit stuff
and then does the standard Overlay op stuff.

However GEOS Capi GeomUnion doesn't appear to use Geometry.Union() at all and
goes straight for the Overlay operation.

On closer inspection of Capi, I see there must have been a time when Geometry.Union() was done instead and that piece of code is now remarked out
So now looks like this
		GeomAutoPtr g3 = BinaryOp(g1, g2, overlayOp(OverlayOp::opUNION));
		return g3.release();
		//Geometry *g3 = g1->Union(g2);
		//return g3;

Same deal with intersection, but the intersection one is not quite as big
of a concern since Geometry.intersection doesn't do much more than the BinaryOp call.

Is there a performance reason why this was done?  It seems to me slightly undesirable
to have CAPI do something differently than what one would be necessarily doing with the Core C++ api and I can only imagine most people using the GEOS C++ api would be hitting the Geometry.Union method (maybe not though).

Thanks,
Regina