[geos-devel] Boost License compatibility

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Apr 8 17:20:56 EDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Since you're talking about taking a small snippet of LGPL and putting
>  it into a larger chunk of Boost, probably you will get no definitive
>  answer, since it hinges on whether your new combined result is a
> "derived work" (in which case it's LGPL) or not (in which case it can
>  be Boost).  The "safe" black-and-white answer is that combining
> anything from a *GPL project with another compatibly-licensed project
>  creates a *GPL resultant.

All this makes sense and seems to be best approach. Thanks!

Slightly changing my original question.
Let's assume no code is copied.
Is it safe to "translate" or let's say rewrite some parts of
implementation of algorithms available in GEOS, using different
types, different idioms, different C++ constructions, etc.
and license such work under the terms of Boost License?

Best regards,

p.s. I understand that the best answer is
probably "Ask your lawyer!", so sorry for bothering
if it's OT here.